Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Ultrasounds are ultra awkward

I didn't put much thought into what my ultrasound experience would be like but it sure wasn't what I had imagined. It was amazing to see my little baby on the monitor, that is for sure; but, it was strangely quiet for the whole appointment.

Later I talked with our expecting mommas who say the tech won't talk mostly because they aren't trained to assess to information from the ultrasound.  The doctor did come in and review the findings of the tech.  He confirmed that our baby is measuring right on for our Sept. 18th due date. Then he said "So you've reviewed the gender?"  No. the tech mentioned nothing about it. We started to think they couldn't tell because of the way the baby was positioned.

"Looks like a ....girl." But he kinda said it in a way that seems uncertain or unsure. I immediately rubbed it in James face, like the mature and dignified person that I am.  James face was lit up with total excitement as he stared at the screen soaking up the images of our little girl.

We came not knowing what to expect, worries and anxieties filling our heads, and no idea what color we would see at baby showers.  We left with new understanding of our baby girl, a clean bill of health, and a set of 6 pictures of her tiny little head.

2 comments: