Saturday, May 21, 2011

Baby got back!

Lets talk about blunt people.
I recently saw an older woman with whom I work occassionally, Kathy. It was the first time in a long while that we had seen each other. After a few hours of work side by side, another coworker asked me about my pregnancy. It was something generic like "How's the baby? Is she kicking a lot?" or "Is your pregnancy going well? Any morning sickness? "
Then it registered to Kathy what we were talking about and she burst out while I was answering, "I didn't know you were pregnant!
Well what did she think was causing my waddle?
My belly measureing about 23 cm at this point, what did she think that was?
I'm almost 6 months pregnant!
What did she think was going on?

"I thought you were just gaining 'newlywed weight'. I've seen you from behind and though you were just putting it on back there. But now that I really look at your middle I see you really are pregnant."

Gee. Thanks.
I feel SO much better Kathy. 


It is hard to take the comments that certain people make with a positive attitude.
I'm growing a whole person inside my belly so yes, it is expected to get pretty big.
And my strechy maternity pants are comfy but aren't exactly cut to flatter my backside.


All in all I have to remind myself some people lack tact.
Its not me. Its just the way they talk.
They mean to say something nice and it comes out all jumbled and even a little (or in Kathy's case, a LOT) rude sometimes.  So when people say "You're huge now! Look at that belly!"  I try to listen a little harder so I can hear "You're baby is really growing well and it looks like you are both healthy!"

So now I'm listening to my new anthem "Baby Got Back" and enjoying my healthy pregnant body! And some fresh pineapple too. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment