Monday, October 24, 2011

When I grow up...


Women like this make me want to be a Doula/BirthInstructor/Midwife when I "grow up".
I want to help women find the strength and courage to birth without fear of suffering. 

I worry that my labor was too "easy" and that I can't relate to women who are struggling in lengthy labors. From first contraction of real labor to delivery was just over 12 hours and many women labor for 3 times as long.  It was a blessing to have had such and easy labor but people roll their eyes when I tell them it wasn't THAT hard. In a way, it undermines my credibility in many peoples' minds. It's true though. 

I can speak in testimony to the truth of her separating pain from suffering. I never suffered in my labor, not even a little. 
I was uncomfortable. 
I felt pressure. Lots of it.
I was stretched to my limits. 
I pushed only to find some relief. 
I wasn't ready for how much I'd need my abs.
I told my husband I just wanted to get her out and sleep.
I tore too-- 2nd degree and I had stiches too. Even that wasn't bad.
I was kicked harder in the ribs than ever before (Amelia wanted help the process)  
I bruised my head from the position I was in with my head by the faucet. NBD.
All of that was worth being able to feel Amelia being born. 
There is nothing like that sensation. It's amazing. Plus, when her head was delivered, she kicked and turned before I delivered her shoulders. That was amazing, I even giggled a bit.  

No part of her journey through the birth canal felt anything like suffering. It was birth and I experienced it without the fear of pain because of women who educated me on what birth can be. I want to be one of those women for someone else. 


2 comments:

  1. You sound so empowered, Amy. Birth can be very transformative...like you, many women end up becoming doulas, childbirth educators, LLL leaders, midwifes. Let's see if you follow this path? :)
    That you had an "easier" birth than others is nothing to feel bad about. Remember you were in a much different environment, well-supported by your husband, free to move, drug free, etc. All these things help you get through it. At the same time, as your midwife, I can tell you that your total surrender to the power of birth was admirable. LOVE

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hear you - as a doula who has never given birth or nursed a baby, I often have thoughts like, 'Am I enough for this woman?' The conclusion I usually come to when this question comes up is, yes, I am enough, as long as I am encouraging, informative, and compassionate.

    Furthermore, there is a theory out there in the scientific world that a woman giving birth triggers similar chemistry in people around her. This chemical reaction among people seems to create behavior which helps the birthing mother as well as sympathetic pheromones that help mom make more of the substances which help her give birth. The act of witnessing a birth may be just as important as lending a hand!

    ReplyDelete