Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Bellylove

Before becoming pregnant, I thought bellycasts were a silly idea and only good for hippy-dippy mommas who want to 'celebrate the female form'. There were painted bellies on all the walls in the Birth Cottage so I thought about it in my initial visits. I quickly decided it wasn't for me. That was so not my style.

Now that I'm here, I understand the desire to preserve a part of your journey into motherhood. I want to mark the growth of my child and the path she is taking into our lives. The one thing that encapsulates that entire thought is a bellycast.

So I'm searching for the perfect way to decorate our belly cast.

I can paint it to show her name and measurements, time of birth, and all those little details.
I can even include her tiny prints from newborn hands and feet.
I could paint with flowers or swirls
Some even tie in the nusery theme.
What one momma did with her belly casts with pictures of her babies in them!

My favorite idea so far, the one that makes me cry, it to have family and friends write blessings and hopes and prayers for this child all over it.
I want her to be able to read  and discover that so many people loved her even before she was seen by any of us.
I want her to feel the support that she has, and will always have from her blood family, and her spiritual family.  Support that began when all we knew was her heartbeat.
It makes me so appreciative to know that she will always have the guidance and love of so many people. She is loved and it makes me see how much love is in the world.
Love from the saints and love from God.

I'm not sure what the final project will look like, but I do know that I will love it. I love the belly and I love her. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment